For many women reading this article, the annual girly holiday will now be a thing of the past. Boyfriends, husbands, children and mortgages have begun to take priority and unfortunately the much loved girly holidays have grown fewer and further between – if not nonexistent. When you do eventually manage to pencil a girly holiday into the prized diaries, the holiday tends to resemble a fashion pilgrimage more so than it does a holiday, inspired by the magazines, namely Vogue; TV, namely Sex and the City; and bloggers, namely The Sartoralist. They usually last no longer than a week and consist of re-enacting the fabulous lives of media personalities and fictional characters; namely Carrie Bradshaw. Having graduated from ouzos in Xanthi most are seeking a more refined Prosecco in Milan, cafe culture in Paris and Cosmopolitans in New York.
Indeed, the girly holiday is no longer a girly holiday at all, but a womanly retreat from the usual humdrum lives to remind you that fashion, fabulousness and frivolity is still within reach. And, although each of the four fashion capitals, Paris, Milan, London and New York, are all brimming with art and culture, there’s something about walking the Manolo Blahnik trodden sidewalk of Manhattan that seems perfect for a chic womanly retreat.
In addition to all the conversations, lunches, cosmopolitans and the many hours dedicated to shopping, there are some essential experiences that must be added to your itinerary. To ensure your New York City break is as fabulous as a Sex and the City episode, planning your experiences and booking your attraction tickets before you travel is paramount and will help you to retrace the steps of Carrie Bradshaw around the city.
1. Fly amidst the spire of the Chrysler building and see New York’s illustrious skyline from a breathtaking perspective on one of the wonderful New York Helicopter Tours.
2. Do dinner and a show, enjoy the landmark musical Lion King on Broadway.
3. Explore art history or catch an exhibition at The Metropolitan Museum of Art.
4. Get lost in a world of art and culture at the Guggenheim and marvel at the architecture of the amazing edifice.
5. Shop till you drop on Fifth Avenue. You’ll need to clear an entire day for this. Start early and wear comfortable shoes.
6. Hang out with the arty types in the trendy SoHo district. Wander around art galleries and find one offs in trendy unique boutiques.
7. Head to Little Italy’s Mulberry Street and wine and dine in typical Italian style.
8. Keep an eye out for classic New York tours that include must see New York attractions, such as the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building Observatory and the Top of the Rock.
9. Enjoy a world of performance art at the Lincoln Centre for Performance Art.
10. Finally, to really put a stamp on your fabulous New York retreat, take an official Sex and the City tour. Sip on Cosmopolitans at Aiden and Steve’s bar, treat yourselves to something sweet at the Magnolia bakery and visit The New York Library – the library that Carrie and Big never got married in.